The Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali
Samādhi Sādhana Vibhūti Kaivalya Pādaḥ
Offered here, as both a UK and US version PDF, is a verse by verse rendition for all four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra, each with the Romanised Saṃskṛta. Each verse is rendered more from a literal viewpoint, rather than a liberal viewpoint. This is a choice of approach whereby the aim is to stay closer to the style of composition utilised by Patañjali with its grammatical terseness outweighing communicative fluidity.
- Yoga Sūtra – A Rendition of Patañjali Chapters One to Four – A4 version
- Yoga Sūtra – A Rendition of Patañjali Chapters One to Four – US Letter version
Readers wishing to complement this more literal approach with a more liberal interpretation can read Paul’s Yoga Mālā – A Thread of Pearls from Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra where you can find a freedom of expression in terms of choice of rendering to facilitate a more free-form thread for the reader.
- Yoga Mālā – A Thread of Pearls on Patañjali Chapter One – A4 version
- Yoga Mālā – A Thread of Pearls on Patañjali Chapter One – US Letter version
The Wisdom of the West as a guide to appreciating the Wisdom of the East arose from a project for trainee practitioners being asked to prepare and present a ‘book’ featuring a chosen translation of each verse from the Yoga Sūtra Chapter One, supported and complemented by an equivalent quote from a Western source. I I said I would also contribute a ‘version’. It is offered here, as a PDF in both A4 and US Letter formats.
- The Wisdom of the West as a guide to appreciating Patañjali Chapter One- A4 version
- The Wisdom of the West as a guide to appreciating Patañjali Chapter One – US Letter version
Alternatively, there is also the online Yoga Sūtra verse by verse translation with its associated word by word Romanised Saṃskṛta Core Glossary and Cross Reference Guide. These translations are also accumulating online verse by verse commentaries from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar.