vinyāsaDevanāgarī: विन्यास Translation: special placing; arrangement, disposition, order; putting together, connecting Related concepts:krama, nyāsa, saṃnyāsa
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“In the indian tradition we have the idea of Varṇa–Āśrama–Dharma
According to a persons environment, development
or stage of activity in life, the choice must vary.
Which will help a person grow at the body and mental level?
So as such it should be Sṛṣṭi Krama for a certain level of people.
In old times. up to the age of 24 years should be in the direction of Sṛṣṭi Krama.
In other words more risk taken with the body, more ability to grasp ideas.
i.e. Vinyāsa almost like gymnastics.
Not suitable for older person starting Yoga.
We need to be open to this beautiful idea of adaptation.”
– TKV Desikachar France August 1983
“Āsana practice should take into account:
– Where we are – Where am I?
– Where are we going – What is my goal?
– What happens afterwards – How do I continue with my life?
There needs to be steps in the sequence to lead to the goal and counter postures
to prepare for life after the Yoga practice, a Vinyāsa.
The postures need to be visualised prior to being executed, Bhāva.
It is important to prepare for life after a Yoga practice
so that a student is fully prepared for life outside the Yoga room.”
– From study notes with TKV Desikachar in England 1992
“We start our practice where we are and look toward a certain goal.
Then we choose the steps that will lead us toward realising that goal
and will gradually bring us back into our everyday life,
but our daily practice does not return us to the exact place we started.
The practice has changed us.”
– TKV Desikachar
“Sometimes the Vinyāsa Krama,
or special placing of steps from,
is more important than the steps to.
At other times the Vinyāsa Krama,
or special placing of steps to,
is more important than the steps from.
In our life as well as our practice.”
– 108 Yoga Planning Pointers
Links to Related Posts:
- A fundamental facet in the principles of Āsana, Mudrā and Prāṇāyāma practice……
- A sample Parivṛtti and Paścimatāna Themed Group Practice
- Considerations for Vinyāsa Krama around Bakāsana……
- Cultivating the skills within Yoga Practice Planning for Individual Students
- Examples of Vinyāsa Krama for Sitting Āsana within a Single Practice.
- Longer term Vinyāsa Krama within the Viniyoga of the breath in Āsana……
- My understanding on the context and content of Yoga Makaranda
- Principles behind why Krishnamacharya only taught adults 121……
- Question to Krishnamacharya – “Can you explain the concept of Vinyāsa and Pratikriyā Āsana?”
- Strange to find my bananas enveloped by Yoga teachings on Vinyāsa Krama……
- The Āsana are presented in Vinyāsa Krama……….
- The counter posture needs to be mastered before a particular Āsana is attempted
- The idea of Vinyāsa, begin from where you are, go to a point, and……
- The Viniyoga of Āsana Part 2 of 15 – There are Many Approaches to Āsana Practice
- The Viniyoga of Āsana Part 4 of 15 – Considerations around the Direction of Āsana Practice
- The Viniyoga of Inversion as an Āsana or as a Mudrā……
- Vinyāsa Krama for Upaviṣṭa Koṇāsana from TKV Desikachar’s Notebooks
- Vinyāsa Krama for the Catur Bandha in Mahā Mudrā for an advanced Āsana student……
- Vinyāsa Krama is pronounced according to its meaning as……
- Viniyoga Vignette 5 – Introducing Uḍḍīyana Bandha within an Āsana practice
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)