svatantraDevanāgarī: स्वतन्त्र Translation: self-dependence, independence, self-will Similar words:sva, tantra Opposite words:paratantra Related concepts:kaivalya
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“The target of Yoga is ‘Svatantra’
which means to discover our own technique.
‘Sva’ means self and ‘Tantra’ means technique.
The techniques are in oneself and we must discover them;
if not we will depend on others.
This is ‘Svatantra’.”
– TKV Desikachar
“As the spider moving upward by
the thread obtains free space,
thus assuredly the meditator,
moving upward by the Mantra
obtains Svatantra (self dependence).
– Maitrī Upaniṣad Chapter Six verse 22”
– 108 Chanting Practice Pointers
“Yoga practice evolves from an external other cooked restaurant experience
to an internal self cooked home experience via the stages of:
1. Dependence on an outside teacher and external ambient venue.
2. Interdependence where we add the beginnings of a home practice to our outside support.
3. Independence where we have refined the skill to rely on and be primarily nourished by our home practice.
This is Svatantra.”
– 108 Yoga Practice Pointers
Links to Related Posts:
- Cultivating the skills within Yoga Practice Planning for Individual Students
- Reflections on TKV Desikachar’s Teaching and Svatantra……
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)