sūtraDevanāgarī: सूत्र Translation: thread Similar words:śloka, āryā Related concepts:patañjali, śāsana, brahman, vedānta, śāstra, vyāsa, saṃskṛta, kapila, adhyayanam
Appears inBhagavad Gītā:
Chapter 7: 7
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“The beauty of the Sūtra is that they are only related to the mind.
Thus they stand above various religions and can be studied and related to
by all types of persons from all types of religions.”
– TKV Desikachar on Yoga Sūtra Chapter One verse 1
“In this Sūtra Patañjali states that there are two ways
to discipline the five types of mental activity.
They are Abhyāsa and Vairāgya.
Abhyāsa is practice.
Vairāgya is to disconnect or sever the link
between the Citta and external objects.
These two, Abhyāsa and Vairāgya,
always go together as a pair.”
– T Krishnamacharya on Yoga Sūtra Chapter One verse 12
“The Sūtra does not require the Gem.
But the Gem requires the Sūtra.
Just like there is a hole in every Gem,
there is a place for God in every Being
and that hole is the Heart.”
– T Krishnamacharya on Bhagavad Gītā Chapter Seven verse 7
“The original essence of the Yoga Sūtra
was passed on by oral tradition.
First you learn the rhythm of the Sūtra.
This was in Saṃskṛta,
first learning the words or Sūtra, then the meanings.
By learning to recite the Sūtra perfectly it was clear
that you were earnest in wanting to learn their meanings.
The scheme would be to repeat it twice,
in exactly the same tone used by the teacher.
This would take many years.
Thus these days it’s difficult to expect to
understand the Sūtra from a book or a course.”
– TKV Desikachar 1979
Links to Related Posts:
- Experiencing the Yoga Sūtra through Chanting
- I am going to explain you something else about the aphorisms…….
- Kayena Vāca – Yoga Sūtra Chanting Closing Prayer with Translation
- Learning to Chant the Four Chapters of the Yoga Sūtra……
- New Resources Page for Yoga Sūtra Chanting Practice PDF’s & Sound Files
- That is why in Yoga the word for earnin confidence is ‘Atha’ – TKV Desikachar
- The first Sūtra also acts as a key for the memory to link all the Yoga……
- TKV Desikachar talks on Śraddhā in the light of the Yoga Sūtra……
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)