śāstraDevanāgarī: शास्त्र Translation: precept, rules, manual, compendium, book or treatise Similar words:śāsana Related concepts:sūtra
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“There is no question that Guru Paramparā is essential for proper teaching,
understanding and practice of all Śāstra, whether Yoga, Veda or Vedāṅga.
It is Paramparā alone that ensures that words of the texts are interpreted correctly.”
– T Krishnamacharya’s commentary to Yoga Sūtra Chapter One verse 20
Question to T Krishnamacharya:
Who is competent to teach Yoga and what are the responsibilities involved?
“Competence requires a deep study of the texts (Śāstra) and
also taking all of one’s duties and responsibilities seriously (Svadharma).”
“How does Vedānta differ from Yoga?
In brief, we can say that the purpose of Yoga is to change the state of mind,
so that it is less muddy.
In this effort, God may help.
The purpose of Vedānta is to become God…..
At an ideological level, Vedānta rejects Yoga’s idea of God as something potentially helpful,
beside that point it likewise rejects whatever is said in Yoga that does not take one toward God.
However, the Vedānta Sūtra does emphasise the importance of sitting properly for meditation
and the Bhagavad Gītā speaks of the need for proper breathing.
All the Śāstra, in fact, accept the physical discipline of Yoga.”
– TKV Desikachar Chennai July 1981
“In the Indian tradition, a Śāstra is always studied under a teacher.
It is the teacher who gives the text life and meaning
by presenting it in a manner that the student can relate to and apply in his life.
The Bhagavad Gītā offers help to those in trouble.
How its teachings can be related to our lives and taken advantage of,
is explained by TKV Desikachar in his introduction and answers to his students.”
– Originally published by the KYM Darśanam May 1995
Links to Related Posts:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)