rājaDevanāgarī: राज Translation: a king, sovereign, chief or best of its kind Similar words:samādhi Opposite words:haṭha Related concepts:laya, bhakti, yoga, yogin, mārga
Appears inBhagavad Gītā:
Chapter 9: titleHaṭha Yoga Pradīpikā:
Chapter 1: 1
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“People often ask me if I teach Āsana.
When I say “Yes, I do.” they say,
“Oh you are a Haṭha Yogi.”
If I talk about the Yoga Sūtra
they say, “You are a Rāja Yogi.”
If I say I am chanting the Veda,
they say, “You are a Mantra Yogi.”
If I say I just practice Yoga,
they can’t understand.
They want to put a label on me.”
– TKV Desikachar Religiousness in Yoga
‘Various Approaches to Yoga’
Chapter Seventeen Page 247-248
“Now let us go to some of his views on matters of interest. He believes that the only Yoga text that has any clear presentation of Yoga is the Yoga Sūtra.
But, he says, Rāja Yoga is just words without Sādhana, just like I read the other day, that philosophy itself is more interesting than any result from it.
However, with Sādhana, Rāja Yoga is the same as Bhakti Yoga.”
– TKV Desikachar from lectures on ‘The Yoga of T Krishnamacharya’,
given at Zinal, Switzerland 1981.
“Union of Jīva Ātman and Parama Ātman is a Siddhi not a Sādhana when it is felt or realised.
If this is clear then Rāja Yoga is a Siddhi.
However one has to work for it in Sādhana.
Anything that takes you in this direction is a Sādhana.”
– TKV Desikachar France 1983
Links to Related Posts:
- Though there are many different aspects to formal ‘home’ practice……
- Yoga as a View, Practice and Tool – Part One
- Prāṇāyāma within Rāja Yoga and Haṭha Yoga
- Haṭha Yoga has another role other than mere freedom of movement……
- The breadth, depth and potential of Desikachar’s teachings on practice……
- Religiousness in Yoga Study Guide: Chapter Seventeen Theory: Various Approaches to Yoga Pages 237-249
- There are some forms within the postural resources developed by……
- This particular full moon day is known as Guru Pūrṇimā……
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)