asatDevanāgarī: असत् Translation: unreal; wrong Similar words:mithyā Opposite words:sat, satya Related concepts:viniyoga
Appears inSāṃkhya Kārikā:
Click here for complete Saṃskṛta Index
“Another aspect of Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra
is that he looks at the world as real.
It is Sat. It is not Asat.
It is not a mirage.
Even the mirage is real.”
– T Krishnamacharya commentary on Yoga Sūtra Chapter One verse 42
“People come to study Yoga for many reasons,
however it comes into two groups.
1. They come to learn or study (Śikṣaṇa).
2. They come to us for support rather than to study (Rakṣaṇa).
So the Yoga we offer to the person who is inquiring
is not the Yoga we offer to the person seeking protection.
Therefore one can give the wrong advice (Asat viniyoga) to the right person
and vice versa (Sat viniyoga).
This can do more harm than if the person had not come.
The intention must be right as must be the execution.”
– TKV Desikachar Switzerland 1978
“The Ācārya has to examine the Sat viniyoga or Asat viniyoga,
the right offering or the wrong offering.
If the teacher is able to solve this problem
and establish that the students are serious,
then this is Sat viniyoga.”
– TKV Desikachar France 1983
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)