The Art of the Application of Āsana Workshop Module One
Empower your Body Exploring how to Customise Āsana
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It introduces the student, through a 2 day workshop, to the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the Art of Application of Āsana.
“Our Yoga practice needs to be a conscious deepening of what we can do.
Rather than becoming an unconscious re-enforcing of what we can’t do.”
Based in the Cotswolds, it is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
It is open to all except complete beginners and offers an opportunity for any Yoga Student, teacher or trainee teacher from any Yoga background or approach to develop and deepen their personal Yoga Sādhana through learning to look into your Āsana practice with greater awareness.
It offers an in-depth introduction to the Application of Āsana, through an experiential appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the art of Āsana, either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills. It is also a prerequisite to further work in the Art of Application of Āsana – Modules Two to Seven Personal Sādhana Courses.
- The Art of the Application of Āsana – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop 30March 14, 2020
An in-depth Introduction to the Application of Āsana – Module One
Two Day Workshop March 14/15th 2020 – Places Waitlisted
- The Art of the Application of Āsana – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop 31May 15, 2021
An in-depth Introduction to the Application of Āsana – Module One
Two Day Workshop May 15/16th 2021 – Five Places Available
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Framework
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshops reflect the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal Āsana Practice to support your everyday life.
- Understanding the principles in the Application of Āsana which inspire and shape Yoga practice.
- An overview of Yoga teachings around Āsana practice.
- Familiarisation with Yoga Āsana terminology and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how your body can work more effectively in Āsana.
- Deepening our work with and importance of Āsana in practice.
To present a view of the Application of Āsana to help develop our practice and deepen our relationship with Yoga Sādhana. They are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture. Its role is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
Yoga is a process to train a student,
not a training to process a teacher.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop topics total over 10 hours through:
1. Learning practice techniques, observation skills and awareness processes to help refine your short term and long term personal Āsana practice – 2.0 hours
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to age
– Core concept – Yoga Krama – posture, breathing and meditation
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to health
– Core concept – Sakti Krama – recovery, support or discovery
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to lifestyle
– Core concept – Prayoga – according to your background
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to energetic constitution
– Core concept – Tridoṣa – optimising your system
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to psychological constitution
– Core concept – Dvikrama – influencing your mind
2. Study of Āsana Practice Techniques and Practice Theory 8.0 hours
- Introduction to definition, meaning and context of Āsana
– Core concept – Nāma Rūpa Lakṣana – name, form and characteristics
- Introduction to how Āsana are arranged into groups and categories
– Core concept – Vinyāsa Krama – collecting postures together
- Introduction to how counterpostures or Pratikriyāsana are used
– Core concept – Pratikriyāsana– maintaining the balance
- Introduction to how we breathe in Āsana
– Core concept – Prāṇāpāna Dhāraṇā – where the focus is
- Introduction to why we move or stay in Āsana
– Core concept – Circulation and Purification – dynamic and static
- Introduction to how we adapt our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Variation and Modification – change and necessity
- Introduction to how we intelligently plan our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Bṛṃhaṇa and Laṅghana Kriyā – connecting postures together
- Introduction to how we Observe within our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Spine, Breath and Attention – learning to look
- Reviews, Summaries and Informal guidelines of a practical nature through questions for reflection, Āsana practice direction for your personal Āsana practice
– Core concept – attitude – following up our learning
3. Workshop Review Session and Home Study Guidelines – 0.25 hour
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal Āsana practices
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Prerequisites
A minimum of one year’s attendance at a Yoga group class of any Yoga approach, or 10 individual Yoga lessons with any Yoga teacher.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Duration
A total of over 10 hours over two days plus suggestions for guided home study and practice directions.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on the possibilities for further development after the course.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Certification
The Art of Application of Yoga Āsana – Module One Workshop Certificate of Completion is awarded to successful students with 100% attendance. This Certificate is awarded in recognition of the commitment in studying the Application of Yoga Practice Techniques and Practice Theory respecting the spirit of TKV Desikachar’s teaching.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Group Size Workshop Timings Fees & Booking
The Module One Personal Sādhana Workshops are limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It is for all Yoga students except complete Yoga beginners, or any Yoga teacher, or Yoga trainee teacher.
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2020 Workshop fee will be £225 for the two days.
The 2021 Workshop fee will be £230 for the two days.
The 2022 Workshop fee will be £235 for the two days.
The full fee is payable at the time of booking and includes a pre-prepared colour printed manual, tuition, vegetarian lunches each day, all refreshments plus supper on the evening of the first day. Accomodation is not included in the teaching and catering fee.
The full Workshop fee is required. It can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Workshops not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Application of Āsana – Module One Workshop Venue & Accommodation
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying overnight locally there is no need to incur any further costs, apart from accommodation, until you leave.