The Art of Gītā Scripture Course Modules Two to Four
Exploring the Eighteen Chapters of the Bhagavad Gītā
The Art of Gītā Scripture Modular Courses are limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. They are a series of 4 day course modules, comprising either a single 4 day meeting or two 2 day meetings over 3 months.
“What good is the sword of wisdom
to cut away the chains of illusion
if the holder is too weak to bear it.”
– T Krishnamacharya Bhagavad Gītā Chapter Four verse 32
Based in the Cotswolds, they are intended for those Yoga students who, having completed a Gītā Scripture Module One Workshop, wish to explore, through a series of 4 day courses, the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar teachings on the Bhagavad Gītā and how they inspire and guide our Yoga either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills.
It is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
“Jñānam is the wisdom of ‘I am that’.
Vijñānam is the discernment that ‘I am not this’ ‘I am not that’.”
– Bhagavad Gītā
The Art of Gītā Scripture Modular Course focus topics are listed below for each 4 day Module:
- Module Two – Chapters One to Six 20 hours
– Hexad 1 verse by verse with the commentaries of Krishnamacharya and Desikachar
- Module Three – Chapters Seven to Twelve 20 hours
– Hexad 2 verse by verse with the commentaries of Krishnamacharya and Desikachar
- Module Four – Chapters Thirteen to Eighteen 20 hours
– Hexad 3 verse by verse with the commentaries of Krishnamacharya and Desikachar
Modules Two to Four comprise either a single 4 day Module or two 2 day Modules over 3 months.
Each Module offers a in-depth study of a Hexad or six Chapters of the Yoga Sūtra. It is an opportunity for a Yoga student from any Yoga background or style to experience an in-depth exploration of each chapter of the Yoga Sūtra of Patāñjali over four 4 day modules.
A Gītā study workbook with a verse by verse index for each chapter is included as part of the Course Manual for all participating students.
In addition, to support the teaching of this important text we will be using selected verses from the Gītārtha Saṃgraha of Śrī Yāmunācārya. This is an important commentary on the Bhagavad Gītā which very succinctly summarises each of its eighteen chapters into eighteen verses. A relevant verse by verse reference will be provided as part of the course manual to help with our study. As such it will be a invaluable support for the study of the Gītā.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Framework
The Art of Gītā Scripture Modular Course reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal reflective study to support your life.
- Understanding the principles that inspire and shape Yoga teachings.
- An overview of primary Bhagavad Gītā concepts around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Bhagavad Gītā terms and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how chanting the Bhagavad Gītā can help deepen our understanding.
- Deepening the reflective aspects of our personal practice with the Bhagavad Gītā.
To present a view from the Bhagavad Gītā through which students can develop their own practice and appreciation of Yoga. The role of this Course is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Professional
Even though the Bhagavad Gītā teachings and techniques developed in the Modular Courses can enhance any Yoga Teachers professional skills there is no requirement to teach or to intend to teach Yoga. This is not the role of the course.
In fact not everybody wants to or actually needs to become a Yoga teacher to further their practice and study. Here the priorities are towards personal development and thus questions relating to our personal practice and study are the priorities. These Courses reflects this viewpoint.
The aim is that we are all here in this course as students and it offers an opportunity for all teachers to step back from their teaching role and re-enhance their personal study and practice path.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four each total over 20 hours through 4 days per Module:
1. Bhagavad Gītā – 20.0 hours
- Exploring some key concepts that surround this teaching on Yoga.
- How each six chapter hexad can link to personal practice goals.
- In depth overview of the structure of each chapter.
- What are the key verses in each chapter.
- In depth exploration of the key verses in each chapter
- Linking each chapter to the meditative path in Yoga.
- Which concepts from each chapter are most relevant to us.
- How to prioritize short term and long term goals in Yoga.
- Learning to read the Bhagavad Gītā signposts for our personal journey.
- Why the view is the foundation for practice and life.
- Learning to look from the Bhagavad Gītā at our relationship with others.
- Linking the Bhagavad Gītā to the ebb and flow of daily life.
2. Review Sessions and Home Study Guidelines – 0.5 hours
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal study processes
- Home study of a practical nature through reading, questions and exploration through textual study
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Prerequisites
Prospective students will have successfully completed an Art of Gītā Philosophy Module One Workshop and then undertake the Modular Courses Two to Four in sequence from Chapter One to Eighteen.
- The Art of Gītā Scripture – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop 5May 9, 2020
An in-depth overview of the Bhagavad Gītā – Module One
Two Day Workshop May 9/10th 2020 – Five Places Available
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Group Size & Dates
The group size for the Art of Gītā Scripture Modular Courses is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
There will be either a single 4 day or 2 two day meetings spaced over three months. This is also a specialised learning intensive, so rather than fixing diary dates in advance each Course will be arranged once I have received around four applications from interested students.
If you are interested then please do feel free to contact me. From there I can advise you on the current state of the waiting list, advise you on when the next Course can be anticipated and talk over any questions you may have.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on possibilities for further development after the course. There is also the possibility of written work being requested to help the transmission.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Certification
The Art of Gītā Scripture Module Two Course Certificate is awarded to successful students with full workshop attendence. Please note that any missed weekends can be made up on a future course free of any further fees. It can also count for CPD points for over 1-2 years.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Fees and Booking
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2017 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £440 for each 4 day module.
The 2018 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £460 for each 4 day module.
For 2017 a deposit of £220 is required and the balance of £220 payable at the first meeting.
For 2018 a deposit of £230 is required and the balance of £230 payable at the first meeting.
The deposit will not be refundable but will be offset against the total fee. All the Personal Sādhana Modular Course Fees must be paid for even if the student is unable to attend.
The fees are payable at each meeting and the cost includes a further Course manual, tuition, vegetarian lunch each day, all refreshments plus supper on the overnight evenings.
All the Art of Personal Sādhana Modular Course deposits can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Courses not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Gītā Scripture – Modules Two to Four Venue and Accommodation Options
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying there is no need to incur any further costs until you leave.