The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Course Module Two
In depth exploration of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā of Īśvara Kṛṣṇa
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Modular Courses are limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. They are a 4 day course module, comprising either a single 4 day meeting or two 2 day meetings over 3 months.
Based in the Cotswolds, they are intended for those Yoga students who, having completed an Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Module One Workshop, wish to further explore, through a 4 day courses, the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar teachings on the Sāṃkhya Kārikā and how they inspire and guide our Yoga either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills.
It is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Modular Course focus topics are listed below for the 4 day Module:
- Module Two – 20 hours
– Sāṃkhya Kārikā with the commentaries of Krishnamacharya and Desikachar
Module Two comprises either a single 4 day Module or two 2 day Modules over 3 months.
This Module offers a in-depth verse by verse study of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā. It is an opportunity for a Yoga student from any Yoga background or style to experience an in-depth exploration of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā of Īśvara Kṛṣṇa over a four 4 day course.
A Śloka by Śloka study workbook with a verse by verse translation and word by word index for all the verses is included as part of the Course Manual for all participating students.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Framework
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Modular Course reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal reflective study to support your life.
- Understanding the principles that inspire and shape Yoga philosophy.
- An overview of primary Sāṃkhya Kārikā concepts around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Sāṃkhya Kārikā terms and reflective techniques.
- Deepening the reflective aspects of our personal practice with the Sāṃkhya Kārikā.
To present a view from the Sāṃkhya Kārikā through which students can develop their own practice and appreciation of Yoga. The role of this Course is not to train students as Yoga teachers
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Professional
Even though the Sāṃkhya Kārikā teachings and techniques developed in the Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Module Two Course can enhance any Yoga Teachers professional skills there is no requirement to teach or to intend to teach Yoga. This is not the role of the course.
In fact not everybody wants to or actually needs to become a Yoga teacher to further their practice and study. Here the priorities are towards personal development and thus questions relating to our personal practice and study are the priorities. This Course reflects this viewpoint.
The aim is that we are all here in this course as students and it offers an opportunity for all teachers to step back from their teaching role and re-enhance their personal study and practice path.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two topics total over 20 hours through 4 days per module:
1. Sāṃkhya Kārikā – 20.0 hours
- Exploring key concepts that surround this teaching.
- How the Sāṃkhya Kārikā can link to personal practice goals.
- What are the key verses.
- In depth exploration of the key verses of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā.
- Linking each verse to the meditative path in Yoga.
- Which concepts from the Sāṃkhya Kārikā are most relevant to us.
- How to prioritize short term and long term goals in Sāṃkhya.
- Learning to read the Sāṃkhya signposts for our personal journey.
- Why the view is a helpful foundation for practice and life.
- Learning to look from the Sāṃkhya Kārikā at our relationship with others.
- Linking the Sāṃkhya Kārikā to the ebb and flow of daily life.
2. Review Sessions and Home Study Guidelines – 0.5 hours
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal study processes
- Home study of a practical nature through reading, questions and exploration through textual study
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Prerequisites
Prospective students will have completed an Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Module One Workshop.
- The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop 5February 22, 2020
An in-depth overview of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module One
– Two Day Workshop February 22/23rd 2020 – One Place Available
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Group Size & Dates
The group size for the Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Module Two Personal Sādhana Course is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
There will be either a single 4 day or 2 two day meetings spaced over three months. This is also a specialised learning intensive, so rather than fixing diary dates in advance each Course will be arranged once I have received around four applications from interested students.
- The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Personal Sādhana Study CoursesSeptember 10, 2022
An in-depth exploration of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā – Module Two
Two Weekend Course – W1 Sept 10/11th – Five Places Available
- The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Personal Sādhana Study CoursesDecember 3, 2022
An in-depth exploration of the Sāṃkhya Kārikā – Module Two
Two Weekend Course – W2 December 3/4th – Five Places Available
If you are interested then please do feel free to contact me. From there I can advise you on the current state of the waiting list, advise you on when the next Course can be anticipated and talk over any questions you may have.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on possibilities for further development after the course. There is also the possibility of written work being requested to help the transmission.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Certification
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy Module Two Course Certificate is awarded to successful students with full workshop attendence. Please note that any missed weekends can be made up on a future course free of any further fees. It can also count for CPD points for Yoga Teachers over 1-2 years.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Fees & Booking
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2019 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £480 for each 4 day module.
The 2020 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £490 for each 4 day module.
The 2021 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £500 for each 4 day module.
The 2022 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £510 for each 4 day module.
For 2019 a deposit of £240 is required and the balance of £240 payable at the first meeting.
For 2020 a deposit of £245 is required and the balance of £245 payable at the first meeting.
For 2021 a deposit of £250 is required and the balance of £250 payable at the first meeting.
For 2022 a deposit of £255 is required and the balance of £255 payable at the first meeting.
The deposit will not be refundable but will be offset against the total fee. All the Personal Sādhana Modular Course Fees must be paid for even if the student is unable to attend.
The fees are payable at each meeting and the cost includes a further Course manual, tuition, vegetarian lunch each day, all refreshments plus supper on the overnight evenings.
All the Art of Personal Sādhana Modular Course deposits can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Courses not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Sāṃkhya Philosophy – Module Two Venue & Accommodation Options
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying there is no need to incur any further costs until you leave.