The Online Art of Application of Āsana eModule One
Empower your Body Exploring how to Customise Āsana
The online Art of Application of Āsana Module One consists of 121 live video meetings to facilitate a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It introduces the student, through an online teaching dialogue, to the primary principles and essential teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the application of Āsana techniques and theory.
“Our Yoga practice needs to be a conscious deepening of what we can do.
Rather than becoming an unconscious re-enforcing of what we can’t do.”
It is open to all except complete beginners and offers an opportunity for any Yoga Student, teacher or trainee teacher from any Yoga background to develop and deepen their personal Yoga practice and study through learning to look into your Āsana practice with greater awareness.
It offers an in-depth approach to the Application of Āsana, through an experiential appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the Art of Āsana Practice, either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills. It is also a prerequisite to further work in the Art of the Application of Āsana – Modules Two to Seven Personal Sādhana Courses.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Framework
The online Art of Application of Āsana Module One reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal Āsana Practice to support your everyday life.
- Understanding the principles in the Application of Āsana which inspire and shape Yoga practice.
- An overview of Yoga teachings around Āsana practice.
- Familiarisation with Yoga Āsana terminology and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how your body can work more effectively in Āsana.
- Deepening our work with and importance of Āsana in practice.
To present a view of the Application of Āsana to help develop our practice and deepen our relationship with Yoga Sādhana. It is offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture. Its role is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
Yoga is a process to train a student,
not a training to process a teacher.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One topics total over 7.5 hours through:
1. Introduction to Yoga Practice learning the skills to develop and refine your own Āsana practice according to who and where we are – 2.0 hours
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to age
– Core concept – Yoga Krama – posture, breathing and meditation
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to health
– Core concept – Sakti Krama – recovery, support or discovery
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to lifestyle
– Core concept – Prayoga – according to your background
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to energetic constitution
– Core concept – Tridoṣa – optimising your system
- Introduction to Āsana practice according to psychological constitution
– Core concept – Dvikrama – influencing your mind
2. Introduction to Āsana Practice Techniques and Practice Theory 5.5 hours
- Introduction to definition, meaning and context of Āsana
– Core concept – Nāma Rūpa Lakṣana – name, form and characteristics
- Introduction to how Āsana are arranged into groups and categories
– Core concept – Vinyāsa Krama – collecting postures together
- Introduction to how counterpostures or Pratikriyāsana are used
– Core concept – Pratikriyāsana– maintaining the balance
- Introduction to how we breathe in Āsana
– Core concept – Prāṇāpāna Dhāraṇā – where the focus is
- Introduction to why we move or stay in Āsana
– Core concept – Circulation and Purification – dynamic and static
- Introduction to how we adapt our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Variation and Modification – change and necessity
- Introduction to how we intelligently plan our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Bṛṃhaṇa and Laṅghana Kriyā – connecting postures together
- Introduction to how we Observe within our Āsana practice
– Core concept – Spine, Breath and Attention – learning to look
- Reviews, Summaries and Informal guidelines of a practical nature through questions for reflection, Āsana practice direction for your personal Āsana practice
– Core concept – attitude – following up our learning
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Prerequisites
A minimum of one year’s attendance at a Yoga group class of any Yoga approach, or 10 individual Yoga lessons with any Yoga teacher.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Duration
A total of over 7.5 hours through 9 online sessions of 50′ each.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on the possibilities for further development after completing this online module.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Certification
The online Application of Yoga Āsana Module One Certificate of Completion is awarded to successful students. This Certificate is awarded in recognition of the commitment in studying the application of Yoga Practice Techniques and Practice Theory respecting the spirit of TKV Desikachar’s teaching.
The Online Application of Āsana Module One Session Timings, Fees and Commencement
The online Module One is offered to students in the form of nine 121 meetings via Skype, FaceTime, or another compatible live link video medium, to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
The timings for each session will be 50′. They total 7.5 hours of 121 teaching held over nine meetings at intervals to be negotiated between student and teacher. The suggestion at this point is around 2-4 weeks between meetings.
The fee for the online Module One will be a special module exclusive package price of £385 for the nine sessions and includes a pre-prepared PDF manual as a workbook support. For students using the UK Banking BACS payment system this will be the transferable fee.
However where there are cross country or cross currency transfer fees involved then these need to be added on so the received fee is still £385.
The Fee Structure can include a split payment whereby an initial payment of £200 prior to the online meetings commencing and a further payment of £185 before session 5 convenes.
Missed or cancelled meetings at less than 24 hours notice are chargeable. In these situations further meetings to catch up on content are possible and can be added on at a fee of £44 per 50′ session.
Commencement is dependent on current diary spaces for 121 students. Subject to availability, online meetings can begin after agreeing a mutually convenient time and frequency and transfer of initial fee.
Free Initial Meeting to discuss your needs
A free preliminary half hour online meeting is available to chat around options, discuss your needs and interactive requirements regarding study. Please email Paul to arrange an initial meeting.