The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study Series eModule One
– Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Mantra and Sūtra
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 consists of 121 live video meetings to facilitate a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It introduces the student, through an online teaching dialogue, to the primary principles and essential teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the application of Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Mantra and Sūtra core techniques and theory.
It is offered as a starting point for students wishing to explore the Application of Yoga but finding the range of Yoga practice and study options in the cYs Programme offering too many initial choices. This online programme draws together a number of the core practice and study strands that this approach specialises in into one composite 7.5 hour programme. From this hands-on experience developmental choices will become clearer.
“Our Yoga practice needs to be a conscious deepening of what we can do.
Rather than becoming an unconscious re-enforcing of what we can’t do.”
Open to all except complete beginners, it is an opportunity for a Yoga Student, Yoga Teacher or Trainee Yoga Teacher from any Yoga background or style to develop and deepen their personal Yoga practice and study through an appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the application of Yoga from the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar.
It offers an in-depth introduction to the Application of Yoga, through an online appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the art of Yoga Practice and Study, either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills. Though complete in itself it is also a introduction and guide for the student to further work in the Online Arts of Yoga Practice and Study Programme Modules.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Framework
The Online Core Yoga Practice & Study reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal Yoga practice to support your everyday
- Understanding the principles known as the Application of Yoga which inspire and shape Yoga practice.
- An overview of and background to the important teachings around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Yoga teachings and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how your body can work effectively in Āsana as a preparation for Yoga.
- Deepening our work with the Breath as a Concentrational Yoga practice.
- Exploring the relevance and place of Chanting as a Meditational Yoga practice.
To present a view of the Application of Yoga to help develop our practice and deepen our relationship with Yoga Practice & Study. They are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture. Its role is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
“Yoga Practice is an essential part of Yoga Study.
Rather than Yoga Study being an essential part of Yoga Practice.”
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 topics total 7.5 hours through:
1. Body Postures or Āsana – 3.0 hours
– Yoga as a Physiological Practice
- What is the role of Āsana?
- How to identify Primary, Primary Support, Secondary Support and Link Āsana.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for Āsana practice.
- When to use Link Āsana within an Āsana practice.
- Why and How we use the Breath in Āsana.
- What we Modify or Vary in Āsana within our practice.
- Learning to look into our Body with greater awareness.
2. Seated Breathing or Prāṇāyāma – 1.5 hours
– Yoga as an Energetic Practice
- What is the role of Prāṇāyāma?
- How to identify Primary, Secondary and Support Prāṇāyāma techniques.
- Learning Primary Prāṇāyāma Seated Āsana and Practice techniques.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for Prāṇāyāma practice.
3. Chanting Sacred Sounds or Mantra – 1 hour
– Yoga as a Devotional Practice
- What is the role of Chanting?
- Learning Core Chanting techniques and Vocal skills to help refine your personal practice.
- Setting priorities for Preliminary voice work and sound techniques in personal practice.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for a Chanting practice.
4. Textual Study or Yoga Sūtra – 2 hours
– Yoga as a Spiritual Inquiry
- Defining what is Yoga.
- Outlining its link to the Yoga Sūtra and the purpose of Sūtra.
- Appreciating the core concepts that underpin this key Yoga teaching.
- Exploring the basic structures and purpose to the four chapters.
- Exploring some key Sūtra in the first and second Chapters.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Prerequisites
A minimum of one year’s attendance at a Yoga group class of any Yoga approach or teacher.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Duration
A total of over 7.5 hours through 9 online sessions of 50′ each.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on the possibilities for further development after the workshop.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Certification
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study Module 1 Certificate of Completion is awarded to successful students with 100% attendance. This Certificate is awarded in recognition of the commitment in studying the Application of Yoga Practice Techniques and Practice Theory respecting the spirit of TKV Desikachar’s teaching.
The Online Art of Yoga Foundation Study eModule 1 Session Timings, Fees and Booking
The online Foundation Module 1 study is offered to students in the form of nine 121 meetings via Skype, FaceTime, or another compatible live link video medium, to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
The timings for each session will be 50′. They total 7.5 hours of 121 teaching held over nine meetings at intervals to be negotiated between student and teacher. The suggestion at this point is around 2-4 weeks between meetings.
The fee for the online core study will be a special module exclusive package price of £360 for the nine sessions and includes a pre-prepared PDF manual as a workbook support. For students using the UK Banking BACS payment system this will be the transferable fee.
However where there are cross country or cross currency transfer fees involved then these need to be added on so the received fee is still £360.
The Fee Structure can include a split payment whereby an initial payment of £200 prior to the online meetings commencing and a further payment of £160 before session 5 convenes.
Missed or cancelled meetings at less than 24 hours notice are chargeable. In these situations further meetings to catch up on content are possible and can be added on at a fee of £40 per 50′ session.
Commencement is dependent on current diary spaces for 121 students. Subject to availability, online meetings can begin after agreeing a mutually convenient time and frequency and transfer of initial fee.
Free Initial Meeting to discuss your needs
A free preliminary half hour online meeting is available to chat around options, discuss your needs and interactive requirements regarding study. Please email Paul to arrange an initial meeting.