The Viniyoga of Dhyāna Practice & Theory Module One
– Empower your Mind Exploring how to Customise Dhyāna
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshop is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It introduces the student, through a 2 day workshop, to the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the Art of viniyoga of Dhyāna.
Based in the Cotswolds, it is open to all except complete beginners. It offers an opportunity for a student from any Yoga background or style to have an in-depth weekend workshop introducing the Art of the viniyoga of Dhyāna, either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills.
It is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
“In Jñāna Dhyānam the most difficult exercise for
the mind is the one of not exercising the mind.”
It is an opportunity for any Yoga Student, or Yoga teachers or trainee teachers from any Yoga background or style to develop and deepen their personal Yoga Sādhana through developing an appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the viniyoga of Dhyāna.
It is also a prerequisite to further work in the Art of of Dhyāna Course Module Two.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Framework
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Personal Sādhana Workshops reflect the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal Dhyāna Practice to support your everyday life.
- Understanding the principles in the Application of Dhyāna which inspire and shape Yoga practice.
- An overview of Yoga teachings around Dhyāna practice.
- Familiarisation with Dhyāna terminology and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how your body can work more effectively for Dhyāna.
- Deepening our work with and importance of Dhyāna in practice.
To present a view of the Application of Dhyāna to help develop our practice and deepen our relationship with Yoga Sādhana. This means respecting the vital source from which these teachings originated and their place in our age and culture. Its role is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
Yoga is a process to train a student,
not a training to process a teacher.
They are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop topics total over 10 hours through:
1. Personal Dhyāna Practice Observation – 2 hours per Module
- Learning practice techniques, observation skills and awareness processes to help refine your short term and long term personal Dhyāna practice
2. Study of Dhyāna Practice Theory – 8.0 hours
- Exploring Dhyāna Practice according to Age
- Exploring Dhyāna Practice according to Health
- Exploring Dhyāna Practice according to Lifestyle
- Exploring Dhyāna Practice according to Constitution
- Exploring the components that make up an Dhyāna practice
- Definition, purpose and benefits of Dhyāna
- Introducing the Energetic and Psychological characteristics of Dhyāna
- Introducing how Dhyāna is arranged in building a practice
- Introducing how counterposes are used within Dhyāna practice
- Introducing how we use the breath in Dhyāna practice
- Introducing how we use movement and stay as tools for Dhyāna practice
- Introducing how we modify or vary Dhyāna within our practice
3. Workshop Review Session and Home Study Guidelines – 0.25 hour
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal Dhyāna practices
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Prerequisites
Prospective students will have successfully completed:
– the Application of Āsana Module One Workshop and Modules Two to Five Courses and
– the Application of Mudrā Module One Workshop and
– the Application of Prāṇāyāma Module One Workshop and Module Two Course.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Duration
A total of over 10 hours over two days plus suggestions for guided home study and practice directions.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on the possibilities for further development after the course.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Certification
The Art of viniyoga of Mudrā Module One Workshop Certificate of Completion is awarded to successful students with 100% attendance. This Certificate is awarded in recognition of the commitment in studying the viniyoga of Yoga Practice Techniques and Practice Theory respecting the spirit of TKV Desikachar’s teaching.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Group Size Workshop Timings Fees & Booking
The Module One Personal Sādhana Workshops are limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It is for all Yoga students except complete Yoga beginners, or any Yoga teacher, or Yoga trainee teacher.
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2020 Workshop fee will be £225 for the two days.
The 2021 Workshop fee will be £230 for the two days.
The 2022 Workshop fee will be £235 for the two days.
The 2023 Workshop fee will be £240 for the two days.
The full fee is payable at the time of booking and includes a pre-prepared student workbook, all tuition, vegetarian lunches both days, all refreshments plus supper on the evening of the first day. Accomodation is not included in the teaching and catering fee.
To book please contact Paul directly. Payment can be made by bank cheque or bank transfer. Please indicate your preference and you will be provided with either the postal address for cheque or with bank details for transfer. Confirmation of your payment and place will be provided. All fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of the workshop not running, an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Application of Dhyāna – Module One Workshop Venue & Accommodation
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if you have arranged to stay overnight locally there is no need to incur any further costs, apart from your accommodation, until you leave.