The Art of Sūtra Psychology Course Module Three
Yoga Sūtra Chapter Two – Sādhana Pādaḥ
March 13/14th 2021 and June 12/13th 2021
The 2021 Art of Sūtra Psychology Module Course Three is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
“The study that helps us to know where we are from
and what progress we have achieved.
In short, our journey to our roots is Svādhyāya.”
– T Krishnamacharya
Based in the Cotswolds, they are intended for those Yoga students who, having completed a Sūtra Psychology Module One Workshop, wish to explore, through a series of 4 day courses, the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the Yoga Sūtra Chapter Two and how they inspire and guide our Yoga either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills.
It is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana. It is an opportunity for a Yoga student from any Yoga background or style to experience an in-depth exploration of chapter two of the Yoga Sūtra of Patāñjali over two weekends.
“The way to better oneself is not to ponder over the past but to look ahead.
Even Duḥkha is a great teacher.
In fact it is the first and important step in the ladder of Viveka or clarity.
The greatness of Patañjali is to look at Duḥkha as the stepping stone to success.”
– T Krishnamacharya
A Sūtra study workbook with a verse by verse translation and word by word index for all the verses in chapter two is included as part of the Course Manual for all participating students.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Framework
The Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Courses reflect the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal reflective study to support your life.
- Understanding the principles that inspire and shape Yoga philosophy.
- An overview of primary Yoga Sūtra concepts around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Yoga Sūtra terms and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how chanting the Yoga Sūtra can aid their absorption and help deepen our understanding.
- Deepening the reflective aspects of our personal practice with the Yoga Sūtra.
To present a view of the Yoga Sūtra through which students can support and develop their own practice and deepen their appreciation of the possibilities for the Yoga Sūtra in their lives. These teachings are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Professional
Even though the Yoga Sūtra teachings and techniques developed in the Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Courses can enhance any Yoga Teachers professional skills in the fields of Yoga Psychology and Yoga Therapeutic Healthcare, there is no requirement to teach or to intend to teach Yoga. This is not the role of the course.
In fact not everybody wants to or actually needs to become a Yoga teacher to further their practice and study. Here the priorities are towards personal development and thus questions relating to our personal practice and study are the priorities. These Courses reflect this viewpoint.
“For Yoga Teachers it is important to understand
the movement of the mind as well as the body.”
– TKV Desikachar
The aim is that we are all here in this course as students and it offers an opportunity for all teachers to step back from their teaching role and re-enhance their personal study and practice path.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three totals over 20 hours through 4 days:
1. Yoga Sūtra – 20.0 hours
- Exploring the key concepts that inform chapter two.
- How the chapter two can link to personal practice goals.
- In depth overview of the structure of chapter two.
- What are the key Sūtra in chapter two.
- In depth overview of each Sūtra in chapter two.
- Linking chapter two to the meditative path in Yoga.
- Which concepts from chapter two are most relevant to us.
- How to prioritize short term and long term goals in Yoga.
- Learning to read the Sūtra signposts for our personal journey.
- Why the view is the foundation for practice and life.
- Learning to look from the Yoga Sūtra at our relationship with others.
- Linking the Sūtra to the ebb and flow of daily life.
- Practical learning skills from the Yoga Sūtra to refine your practice.
- Linking the Yoga Sūtra to help develop and deepen your practice.
- Introduction to the value of reciting the Yoga Sūtra
2. Review Sessions and Home Study Guidelines – 0.5 hours
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal study processes
- Home study of a practical nature through reading, questions and exploration through textual study
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Prerequisites
Prospective students will have successfully completed a Sūtra Psychology Module One Workshop, or acceptable equivalent.
Modules Two and Three Courses, around Chapters One and Two, maybe undertaken in any order but both need to be undertaken before undertaking Modules Four and Five, around Chapters Three and Four.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Group Size and Dates
The group size for the Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Courses is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
The 2019 Course Dates are Weekend One March 30/31st and Weekend Two June 22/23rd.
If you are interested then please do feel free to contact me. From there I can advise you on the current course or advise you on when the next course can be anticipated and talk over any questions you may have.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Modules Three Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on possibilities for further development after the course. There is also the possibility of written work being requested to help the transmission.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Fees and Booking
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2020 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £470 for each 4 day module.
The 2021 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £480 for each 4 day module.
The 2022 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £490 for each 4 day module.
For 2020 a deposit of £235 is required and the balance of £235 payable at the first meeting.
For 2021 a deposit of £240 is required and the balance of £240 payable at the first meeting.
For 2022 a deposit of £245 is required and the balance of £245 payable at the first meeting.
The deposit will not be refundable but will be offset against the total fee. All the Personal Sādhana Modular Course Fees must be paid for even if the student is unable to attend.
The fees are payable at each meeting and the cost includes a further Course manual, tuition, vegetarian lunch each day, all refreshments plus supper on the overnight evenings.
All the Art of Personal Sādhana Modular Course deposits can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Courses not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Three Venue and Accommodation Options
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying there is no need to incur any further costs until you leave.