‘Religiousness in Yoga: Lectures on Theory and Practice’ by the University Press of America, a transcript of a one-month Yoga Programme at Colgate University in 1976, published in 1980. Currently available through Amazon US or Amazon UK, it still remains for me to this day in all but layout, one of the finest modern expositions on Yoga.
Also, for me, far superior to the later redacted version and re-published in 1995 under the title ‘The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice’ by Inner Traditions, albeit with many family photographs being added within a more ‘visually friendly’ presentation and a simplified less complex ‘reader format’. Personally described to me by Desikachar as ‘old wine in new bottles’.
A chapter-by-chapter Study guide is offered below with added verse and word cross-references where possible to support a deeper linking with the teachings within these lectures and Q & A sessions.
At the end of each chapter, you can find the link to a downloadable PDF.
Or follow this link for a listing of all the 18 chapters as single PDF’S.
Religiousness in Yoga Chapter by Chapter Study Guide Quick Links
- Chapter 1 Theory: The Meaning and Purpose of Yoga
- Chapter 2 Practice: The Principles of Practice
- Chapter 3 Theory: The Concepts of Avidyā and Duḥkha
- Chapter 4 Practice: Practice Planning
- Chapter 5 Theory: Duḥkha and the Concept of Saṃskāra
- Chapter 6 Theory: Puruṣa and Prakṛti
- Chapter 7 Practice: Improvisation in Āsana
- Chapter 8 Theory: Yama, Niyama and Āsana – The First Three Aṅga of Yoga
- Chapter 9 Practice: The Practical Aspects of Prāṇāyāma
- Chapter 10 Theory: The Fourth Aṅga – Prāṇāyāma
- Chapter 11 Theory: Antaraṅga Sādhana – An Introduction to the Last Four Aṅga
- Chapter 12 Practice: Choosing Ratio and the Proper Technique for Prāṇāyāma
- Chapter 13 Theory: The Antaraṅga Sādhana, Saṃyama and Kaivalya
- Chapter 14 Practice: The Concept, Preparation and Techniques of Bandha
- Chapter 15 Theory: Antarāyāḥ, Obstacles to Progress; Techniques to Overcome Them
- Chapter 16 Theory: A Session for Questions
- Chapter 17 Theory: Various Approaches to Yoga
- Chapter 18 Theory: The Way the Mind Functions and the Concept of Nirodha