Yoga Teachings on Emotions, Mind, Body and Energy
Chapter One has 51 Sūtra and is called SAMĀDHI PĀDAḤ or the Path to Integrating the Psyche.
This first chapter introduces the psyche, its activities, practices required for change and the possibilities for practice according to the inherent abilities of the practitioner. This chapter is for a student who already has a quality of a Samāhīta Citta or a stable psyche.
– Primary concepts in the Yoga Sūtra Chapter One
Theme One verses 1-11 – Cit and Citta
- v1-4 – Definition and Purpose of Yoga
- v5 – 11 – Activities of the Citta or Psyche
Theme Two verses 12-22 – Jñāna and Śraddhā
- v12 – 19 – Meditation or Dhyānam as Jñāna Yoga
- v20 – 22 – The role of Śraddhā
Theme Three verses 23-39 – Bhakti and Eka Tattva
- v23 – 31 – Meditation or Dhyānam as Bhakti Yoga
- v32 – 39 – Short Term Meditational Strategies
Theme Four verses 40-51 – Sabīja and Nirbīja Samādhi
- v40 – 46 – Refinement of Dhyānam
- v47 – 51 – Final Steps